Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Aug 12th, 2022, 19:22   #3174
Othen
Premier Member

Default B230 Preparation

I've finished work on preparing the RB and the AW71 for its trip north, so I started work on the B230 motor.

I took off the flex plate, there was no sign of any leaking but I decided to change the rear crank seal anyway:

... I hooked out the seal to find that is is a slightly different size from the spare one I had (for a B21/23 motor, that must have been one of the changes Volvo made). This one is part #430118. No matter; I've ordered a new one for only £8.35 delivered and will fit it next week.

The other 3 seals look like they are the same size as the B21, so I'll swap them at the same time.

I'm in two minds about changing the head gasket, there are no signs of failure - but I have a spare one in the gaskets set. I will check the valve clearances and change the spacers if I need to, then change the hushers and the cam belt. There are a few exhaust studs that look a but rough, so I'll swap the almost new set out of the spare 160 head I have.

I was thinking that I might as well remove both manifolds to give access to the block and then clean it up and patch paint with some nice Hamerite red.

I'll give the K-Jetronic system a visual check over and a clean up with some silicone spray so it looks nice. I'm in two minds as to whether I re-fit it or dry store it.

I haven't got a use for the B230e yet, but I might as well have it prepared for when something comes up. One possibility is a 244 GLE (or is it a GL in disguise?) currently being discussed in the 'Seriously?' thread.

:-)

Last edited by Othen; Aug 12th, 2022 at 21:04. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: