Thread: Van HD tyres.
View Single Post
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 17:09   #11
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Using any tyre outside the vehicle manufacturer's specification will involve a degree of compromise. Providing that their use is not illegal (e.g. mixing radial and cross ply), does not impact any insurance conditions and the user both understands that compromise and drives appropriately, then I do not see a problem.

50 years ago, I had a '54 Riley RME which ran 600/16 cross plies. Even then, tyres of that size were becoming both expensive and difficult to obtain. A friend suggested that I tried Land Rover tyres which were both cheaper and easier to come by. Apart from being a bit noisier and a slightly harsher ride they were fine. If 'Moomoo' understands that, and I am sure he will, and fits van tyres to his 245 in the light of it, then I do not see a problem.

My own experience suggests that, if he does, his car will ride better if heavily laden than on regular tyres, at the expense of a harsher, more 'bouncy' ride when lightly loaded - a bit like driving an unladen pick-up. He can also expect much increased tyre mileage at the expense of slightly reduced grip - hence the need to drive appropriately.

Regards, John.