View Single Post
Old May 28th, 2021, 12:40   #30
Two340'sman

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
The carb is a Weber DIR as fitted to the later B14's

The most common cause of rough idle is air leaks with that most often being carb base warpage. Testing for air leaks is the very first step.

Your problem could relate to the fuel and could be worth running off and filling with some branded fuel to prove one way or the other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Did you pull the idle jet off the end of the solenoid and check it for dirt as I explained yesterday ? It sounds as if you might have disturbed the dirt when you removed the valve ..

Now to clear up some misunderstandings ..

ALL B14's from 1976 to 1991 had the DIR Weber carburettor which is a very good quality carburettor which does not suffer from wear , there were several variations over the years ...

The B14 DIR never had problems with a warped base , that could happen on the low quality solex used on the 1.7 engine , mainly by being overtightened my ham fisted people ..... I must have flatted off the base of several hundred of these carburettors when the cars were current !

The 1.7 engine had the rubber pip on the end of the idle valve that could stick when old and the car not used for a period of time hence the tale of the tip being cut off in an emergency to get you home . The idle jet itself was screwed into the side of the carburettor and if blocked was replaced as you could not get inside behind the jet to clear it ...

The idle valve is also an economy device , it shuts off the fuel when your foot is off the throttle over 1200 rpm .... this function was fitted around 1986 ...
There was a sort of brass bush on the solenoid valve, I did remove it, it was clean, but washed it in WD40 anyway.

My car is a 1.4 GL 1989, and I have a vague recollection that the previous owner may have fitted a replacement carb. I have had the car over 10 years and generally, it has run very well.

I did not know about the economy feature of the valve.
Two340'sman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Two340'sman For This Useful Post: