View Single Post
Old Aug 20th, 2018, 22:07   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSaintJames View Post
Dave - ive just watched the episode of interior spaces, wow! That is a lot of work gone into that granada/scorpio based hearse camper, and 30k too so the chap says. I don't think we're going quite that fancy just yet, i envisage something a little more minimalist. Not sure about the coffin kitchen either!

Today's update, I cleaned out the PCV system that I could find in the failing light, which was a small round concave filter (flame trap?) and the three associated pipes, they weren't blocked at all, but were quite dirty, at lest they are clean now, id like to say it runs a little smoother but that could be wishful thinking! It was very difficult to see, but im not sure that the piece of plastic that houses the filter was actually attached to the engine, i had to feel for it under the inlet manifold but it didn't feel attached to anything.

Ive ordered some parts for the pre MOT sort out:

Until next time,
Tom
Good work cleaning out the PCV system Tom - did you trace the hoses back to where they go and check the stubs were clear?
I'm guessing not from what you've said, one small bore hose goes to the inlet manifold and is very prone to clogging up, the larger bore hose goes to the air filter, not so prone to clogging but can get dirty inside. The one that bothers me is the way you describe the flame trap as just sitting there.
It should have hhad a short, large bore rubber hose on it which would have connected to the oil separator on the side of the block, quite low down under the inlet manifold. This photo and diagram will be helpful :

The pipe marked "E" is the short one i'm referring to. A nice little modification is to extend "E" so the flame trap sits above the inlet manifold, reduces the amount of oil that actually gets near the flame trap considerably.
If i can find them, i'll post the photos of when i extended the pipe on my last B230E.
If you remove the oil filler cap with the engine idling, it should stay on by a slight vacuum, if it does anything else, chances are the oil separator itself is blocked.

Good luck with the exhaust and everything else, use copper grease when you put it all together, it makes life much easier if you need to take it off again and you might for sorting out the extension, unless of course it comes with the extension!
You'll find it runs a lot smoother with the exhaust changed, as for the dizzy cap and rotor arm, you might want to take Phil (AllHailKingVolvo) up on his offer of a helping hand to do those - you've come on in leaps and bounds over the past year or so but they're a bit tricky, mainly because of the location.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Aug 20th, 2018 at 22:35.
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: