View Single Post
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 10:07   #5
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
Indeed, brazing it would probably work, but given that you'd need to remove it to do so, I'd have thought that replacement with a used one would be the way to go - probably cheaper in the end too, and quicker. Manifold cracking isn't a common fault on these engines, so a used one is probably going to be fine. I also agree that JB weld and stuff like that is not likely to work for any length of time.
I've no experience with the N/A engine but when I refurbished my turbo I found the exhaust manifold was cracked, particularly on the inside at the collector. I replaced it with a very good second hand one. It might be one of the reasons why the turbo exhaust manifold was changed in 1999.

I wouldn't recommend trying JB weld or similar as it will possibly very quickly fall out and if it's for cracks on the inside of the manifold if it falls out it will head straight to the Cat where it might cause damage.

I would additionally consider the condition of the engine mounts - if they are worn then you might have quite a bit of engine movement in excess of what the flexibility of the exhaust system can absorb?

Worst case scenario I think you can get new manifolds for the N/A engines from PFV if you can't find a good used one.

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R

Last edited by acshortt5; Apr 7th, 2021 at 10:10.
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to acshortt5 For This Useful Post: