View Single Post
Old Oct 29th, 2021, 14:53   #4
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stw72 View Post
Hi
First time posting here but looking for the knowledge of experienced owners.

I’ve got a 64 plate XC60 D4 Rdesign which has the 5 cylinder Diesel engine.
I’ve owned it for 3.5 years and put 60k miles on it in that time so it now has 107k miles on it.
It feels like I’ve spent a lot on it in that time, broken springs, new radiator, 2 sets of tyres due to alignment issues, etc

It’s now due it’s timing belt change, along with service and this week the bonnet sensor has stopped working so it thinks the bonnet is open when it’s firmly closed.

I’ve not owned a Volvo before so have no idea if these problems are typical and given mileage now an concerned at what could come next. The auto gearbox can be a bit lumpy at times too.

What should I expect to pay for a good Volvo independent (any recommendations for one near Chester would be helpful) for the timing belt, service and bonnet sensor?

And, would you be looking to move it on or is it typical xc60 issues?

Thanks for your help
That's the million dollar question & only you can really answer that.

From where I'm sitting, I see you've spent money on general wear & tear items... I don't see them as "issues". Its not like you've had a major mechanical breakdown (or maybe you have & didn't specify). Tyres & springs fail... it doesn't really matter what car you've got. Tyres need replacing at some point, as do suspension parts.

The car has over 100k on it... I see these as typical running costs. The older the car gets & the higher the mileage, the likelihood of things needing attention. If you don't want that, then maybe you should be looking at a newer car with much less miles?

Although, your monthly payments on a newer car would far outweigh what you're spending on repairs now & the newer car you buy will inevitably need repairs at some point in the future too, but how long is a piece of string? Newer isn't always better. Sometimes you're better off sticking with what you know.

Last edited by Kev0607; Oct 29th, 2021 at 14:56.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote