View Single Post
Old Aug 13th, 2022, 20:55   #12
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
It was a light-hearted quip, but I do think you're being over-dramatic to say the least. Manufacturer's advised it's OK, it'll be OK.

Garages use new oil because they do servicing regularly, so they turn over oil stock regularly.

Cars usually (but not always) have annual services specified because, but not limited to, oil degradation because extreme heating and cooling over the course of a year, and because condensation occurs inside an engine when it gets cold, which is unhelpful to oil longevity. Oh, and because it makes them money, perhaps.

These things don't happen to sealed containers of oil on a garage shelf.

The OP's not going to wreck his engine.
It's all good mate, what you say is true it's just certain manufacturers have started insisting on only one oil and I don't think it's because they want the wonga I think it's because the tech and tolerances in the engines demand it,

You have to remember it's not always the engine alone the spec is protecting, oils now are designed to limit dpf clogging, get between micron thin gaps and still have the balls to deal with the normal engine cycles,

XC's car has a complex engine and has a history of egr and ring problems so I'd just err on it and bite the fresh oil route meeself
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote