View Single Post
Old Aug 13th, 2022, 20:47   #11
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
That's why garages use new oil, if oil doesn't have an age limit why do garages still insist on an annual service where the car has only done 3000 miles that year,

It's not still the days of 5L of FoMoCo multilube engine oils today are part of the engine build itself,

After all said it probably will be ok to use it but I'm not going to advise it knowing it could cause costly damage if the oil doesn't do it's job, and I'm like you normally if it meets the spec it's going in but having lost a turbo early on in a VW I suspect the oil I was using even through it was top quality and met the specs caused it to wear early, it's the only one I ever lost and also the only car of mine that called for a specific oil spec,

@ XC, if you do go ahead make sure you do shake it up like a rattle can of paint, I'd even suggest giving the bottle a waist high warm bath and shake it again, keep the bottle sealed obviously, tepid not hot so as long as you can keep a finger in the water without burning yourself that will do, otherwise you may deform or melt the bottle.
It was a light-hearted quip, but I do think you're being over-dramatic to say the least. Manufacturer's advised it's OK, it'll be OK.

Garages use new oil because they do servicing regularly, so they turn over oil stock regularly.

Cars usually (but not always) have annual services specified because, but not limited to, oil degradation because extreme heating and cooling over the course of a year, and because condensation occurs inside an engine when it gets cold, which is unhelpful to oil longevity. Oh, and because it makes them money, perhaps.

These things don't happen to sealed containers of oil on a garage shelf.

The OP's not going to wreck his engine.
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote