Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Apr 11th, 2021, 16:45   #2418
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Sorry Alan, i missed the bit about honing the bores - or forgot by the time i put my response together!

John has thrown another option into the mix that i think might be a better one long term. I know a couple of times you've mentioned perhaps getting a B23/230 engine to improve the response if the B21 struggles slightly with the OD ratio on the AW71L so i'd suggest a slightly different course of action, largely based on Johns suggestion.

Leave the engine as it is for now, except replacing the rear crank oil seal as part of the gearbox upgrade.

See how it performs with the new box and then you can decide on whether to refurb the existing engine or get a replacement B23/230 and refurb that before fitting. In some ways refurbing a bigger engine would make the most of your 3 for refurb as you'd be doing it to the desired bigger unit rather than the existing one and then maybe still want to change for a bigger one.

Just another metaphorical spanner in the works of deciding!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: