Thread: Seriously?
View Single Post
Old Jun 25th, 2023, 06:04   #5254
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Now there's a thought Bob! Part of the reason i suggested the Lexus engine/box combo is the box is near identical to the OE AW71 so the original gearbox mounts can be used, bit of faffing with the extension housing to change the speedo drive and output shaft to the Volvo version but nothing much.

Then there is a kit available for the engine mounting, i don't think anybody has done that for the Mustang lump although the 5.0 Coyote would be a good option......

Alternatively, if you want to stick with the Ford bits, find an S Type in a scrapyard and either drop in the engine/box from a 3.0 V6 or the V8 in either 4.0 n/asp or 4.2 supercharged guise - probably nearly as powerful as the Mustang lump, the 3.0 V6 is 240bhp so close to the Lexus 1UZ.

Others wold probably say a red block turbo seeing as it's a rolling Volvo shell but if you're going to fit another engine, half the work is already done, the car will never be original so turn it into a real sleeper!
The Muricans have fitted all sorts of engines to these, 2JZ, 5.0 V8, LS7 etc and the Australians too as they have an abundance of donors in the form of Holden's. I've just seen a video of someone who fitted a 2.3 16V Mazda engine in one, the massive engine bay in old Volvo's is a modders delight.

You know me I'd go for a B230 squirter block with a big holset or borg Warner turbo.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post: