Thread: ATS Alloys
View Single Post
Old Dec 17th, 2020, 07:47   #4
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 142 Guy View Post
No; but, if you are willing to accept reproductions I believe both VP and CVI are selling them. I have the original Volvo accessory ATS 5 spoke wheels on my 142 and I purchased a single reproduction from VP. The reproduction is good; but, not exact. For one the finish on the reproductions is higher gloss whereas the original wheels are very much 'as cast'. The profiles are also much smoother. You will also note on close inspection little 'dodges' such as the reproductions have AT8 rather than ATS cast onto the wheels. I purchased the reproduction to have as a spare (literally). It is so much lighter than the original Volvo steel rim which makes getting the spare out of the trunk significantly easier for an old guy.

If the reproduction and original rims are on the car at the same time, most people will not notice the difference. Vintage Volvoistas will probably spot the differences. The reproductions will probably be much cheaper than trying to source an original set of 5 spoke Volvo ATS wheels (unless they are seriously bent).

They are also selling reproductions of the ATS alloy wheels that came factory installed on the 1800. These are much more common than the 5 spoke wheels and you may be able to pick up an original set for a price that is less than the cost of the reproductions. However, the used versions of these wheels that I have seen would require surface refinishing to look good.
I was doing a zoom call with some Amazon guys last night and one of the guys mentioned when he owned a 164 way back when he had a set of the ATS wheels and used a hubcap for a 73 144 (needs checking) in the centre section of the ATS wheels. He got the idea from a Danish calendar he had at the time. Not seen any pics of this on my search of the internet though but he though it looked good.