View Single Post
Old Apr 21st, 2021, 00:50   #7
DunnT4

Apologies for the delay in the update, as you're about to read the last week or so has been a nightmare...

So we start with Monday last week, the day I was meant to be taking the V40 apart, my Mrs went into labour and instead I had to spend the best part of 3 days back and forth the hospital in the V40 (s40 hasn't arrived yet) and all was fine to the point where even the previously mentioned noises had disappeared. Then 2 days ago on my way to putting the V40 into storage, it developed quite a few problems all on the same trip, to the point where I turned it around and just came home (my lock up is 50 miles away I didn't fancy breaking down in the middle of nowhere). Firstly, for the first time since I've owned it it had a slow vague start, followed by a ticking noise once started. The ticking noise then disappeared when I engaged D and all seemed fine. After around 40 minutes of driving and I don't mean hard driving, I mean very careful driving, I started ascending a steep hill accelerating up to around 40 and the catalytic conv went. Although it took me a few seconds to realise because nothing changed in regards to the how the car felt I could just smell it. I pulled over, foul burning smell coming from the exhaust and a slight ticking sound, so I thought I'll wait half hour for it to cool down a bit and I'll try make it home. (please bear in mind where I was I had no phone reception all the way until I was pretty much home and I was a lot closer to there than anywhere else.) As soon as I turned the key without actually starting the fan instantly came on, (even though I had let it come on before switching the engine off and this was a pretty cold day. Forgive me if this is normal but after 4 years of having these v40s it's never happened) and then upon start up the DSA light on the dash came on and Whenever I engaged P N the car would not idle good atall, the car would slowly vibrate pretty loudly to begin with and then fade out to the point it sounded like the car was going to die but as soon as I engaged D it was fine. Even when i was sat with my foot on the brake in D for a few minutes it sounded completely albeit a bit louder because of the exhaust. So I made it home with no more issues during the drive, the car drove fine, I could hear the turbo making it's stupid noise it's been making and in all honesty it was still pretty sharp even though It sounded slightly louder. Then as soon as I pull up outside, I engage P and the car does that bad idling but this time accompanied by a faint splutter from the exhaust.

Since then I've loaded it on a lorry, put it in storage and I'm not driving not going near it again until the headache of all that clears. In the meantime, any advice on where to start as by the looks of it it's not just the turbo that's bad, would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Callum
DunnT4 is offline   Reply With Quote