View Single Post
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 13:17   #7
Waveslate

Default Volvo S40 (2005) 6CD changer COMPLETELY dead

So, I'm bumping this thread because I ran into a problem with the 6CD changer in my S40 2.4i 2005 (Premium Sound). And when I say 'problem', I mean it completely died yesterday, although the radio is working just fine.

Long story short, the CD player suddenly stopped playing audio. Trying to eject the disc does nothing - there is no mechanical sound coming from the inside. The display simply says "Ejecting" for some time before throwing an error. Pressing the different number buttons to change between disks registers on the screen (it says that the disc is changing), however the CD changer itself is doing nothing inside. Here's a short video of the issue (which I cannot embed for whatever reason):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4fePoCPSQQ

So, naturally, I took the whole thing apart and noticed that only one of the lights in the optical cable that goes into the audio unit is lighting up. Could that be the problem? Shouldn't the two lights be on at the same time? I'm attaching a picture.

Some time ago, a friend of mine had the CD player in his S40 act up (single CD unit). It couldn't read or eject the disk, but at least it was trying to! Pressing the eject button made it rattle inside like it was trying to do something. We hit a scrapyard, found the same unit and simply transplanted the CD mechanism into his car. I'm not sure if this will work in my case, since the issue could be coming from the optical cable? Does anyone have any insight into this problem? Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg volvo-s40-audio-optical-cable.jpg (185.8 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by Waveslate; Jan 30th, 2022 at 13:20.
Waveslate is offline   Reply With Quote