View Single Post
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 15:59   #27
XC90caravanpuller
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheeldriver View Post
Good to hear you enjoyed your trip. Sounds like it was eventful at least!! What size of caravan do you pull? I have a twin axle Swift which trundled along behind the xc brilliantly apart from the annoying regularity of new faults appearing every 100 miles!! lol Having said that though I get better fuel consumption out of the RRS by about 3-5mpg than the xc doing the same trip to Shrewsbury from up here in the sticks. At least the neutral "feature" of the geartronic never cost you a fine down those hills!! lol
It's a '95 Swift Rapide 490/5 GXL, the lightweight version of the Challenger. They don't make it any more and new vans are getting very heavy with all the extras they load them with. Max authorised weight is 1060 kgs with ex-works weight of 870 kgs and allowable payload of 190kgs. Very light for the XC90 but a delight all the same. It's always full of stuff, BBQ, awning, poles, chairs, tables, gazebo etc so reaches MAW easily.
There was a Swift Owners Rally on the Camping Fornella site in San Felice del Benaco, where we stayed, but I ended up in hospital and didn't get to say "hello!"
Legionnaires' Disease caught somewhere on the trip down.!
Fatal in 30% of cases, especially male, 50+, smokers, which I am, so feel lucky to have survived!
Stop smoking clinic appointment booked for the 5th Oct.
Can't do anything about gender or age!