View Single Post
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 13:25   #1
goltho
Not my first road EO

Default D4164T 1.6D: 50% loss of power: Out of options 😖

Summary
Daughter's car. Ongoing issue for 2 months. 50% loss of power. Occasional dash warnings (Anti-skid/Service engine). Runs smoothly. Not in limp mode. VIDA was showing intermittent EGR valve low duty cycle DTC, also ADM error which has existed since new DPF fitted 1,500 miles ago. DPF regens as it should. MAF sensor replaced last week with OEM, no difference. Air intake hose to turbo changed due to split, minimal difference. EGR valve replaced & reset today, no difference, now no DTC. Turbo control valve appears to operate correctly as wastegate actuator activates on start although engine performs as if without turbo. Capitulated & put car to main dealer last week for VIDA diagnosis for their input; they found the split hose but otherwise confirmed DTCs, contributed no remedies, and suggested more general troubleshooting at £100 p/hr. DPF changed 1,500 miles ago which fixed poor running issue due to old clogged DPF. DPF pressure reading 0-2 hPa at idle and manually regens with no apparent issue.

Current situ
All the above attempts to rectify have made no difference. When stationery, revving at stages e.g. 1500/2000/2500 is fine up to 3500rpm. When held at 3400-3500, it becomes lumpy and emits copious white or light blue diesel fumes for about 10 seconds after which the smoke stops. Revving it further before or after the smoke emission e.g. 4000 does not produce the smoke (so the smoke only occurs at 3500rpm for about 10 seconds). Revving and holding beyond 3500 is smooth and not lumpy. Sometimes when revs drop back to idle, there is a brief vibration for a couple of seconds which clears.

Where I'm at
I've hit the wall in terms of my knowledge and experience. The two VIDA screenshots below were taken a) during static regeneration at 4,000rpm and b) on idle immediately on completion of regeneration this morning. I don't have the knowledge to know if all readings are within normal parameters apart from the DPF-sensor-at-idle which has sat between 0 and 2 since the DPF replacement (it was previously 20 minimum).

What I'm hoping for🙏🤞
I'd hugely appreciate some informed input here. Putting the car back to the dealer is financially untenable for my daughter (given up work after first sprog 7 months ago) and the car needs to be fixed. Thanks.

Dougie.

Last edited by goltho; Nov 28th, 2021 at 13:33.
goltho is offline   Reply With Quote