View Single Post
Old Jul 23rd, 2021, 00:13   #18
vykkagur

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewBrown View Post
The Volvo B30 is stronger more powerful if I remember right a little bit lighter, more reliable then the 2.6 and 3.0 BMC straight six motors as fitted in the Austin Healy 3000, MGC, Austin 3 Litre saloon.

Also more tuning parts like cams heads exhausts etc

B30 will fit in a series land rover, it fits in a P1800 see here https://www.glenngoodspeed.com/volvo/six-cylinder.htm

you could change the front to a defender or a stage one type front grille that will give some extra space if needed
That's definitely a shoehorn job for sure! Switching to a different manifold would have alleviated the crowding on that side. I really can't see room for the radiator in that set-up, but it must be there. I certainly like the concept, but the stupid boy-racer "wheel arches and wide wheels" look really spoils the whole thing. The Mad Max beer-keg/tank is a humorous touch. Possibly the stock fuel tank was too far gone to be saved.

Looking at this conversion reminded me of another question I have about interchangability between the B30 and the 4-cyl engines, but I've posted that as a separate thread.

Luckily, a flush-grille modification on the Land Rover isn't necessary. The one I rode in years ago still had the Series IIA front end. All that was required were some basic sheetmetal mods to the engine side of the radiator panel. You have to use the 164 rad anyway, and since it's wider, thinner, and not as tall, you can move it farther forward into the radiator panel without affecting the outward appearance. Flat-fronting a Series ruins the distinctive front end and reduces it to Defender status.
vykkagur is offline   Reply With Quote