View Single Post
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 22:11   #37
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloran View Post
That would be useful, thanks. My pre-2000 knowledge is all hot hatches and Japanese sports cars. Definitely don't want anything too new, having had perfectly mechanically good cars killed by electronics issues. Estate isn't essential. Towbar ideally for the bike rack because I don't fancy lifting 20kg+ e-bikes on to roof-mount carriers. Family of three and we tend to go on self-catering holidays/short breaks in the UK and probably take too much stuff! Definitely hatch rather than saloon. My partner's car is a supermini so we need something bigger. Could potentially go down to one car to rule them all as her car is getting long in the tooth too. Oh and budget-wise I'd say £4k tops. I could spend more but it's more about not having to worry about the car - would be parked on the road, left for hours in quiet areas of the forest, etc
That's a bit of a tall order! I've never understood the attraction of hatchbacks - not quite an estate and a very noisy saloon that has less body rigidity, doesn't handle so well and is less secure than the saloon counterpart.

My first suggestion which i think you already know was the same as James, better the devil you know and drop a B230 in it. Alternatively buy another 7/940 and keep this one as a source of spares or sell it spares/repair.

All things considered and getting the impression you're looking on a broader spectrum than Volvo, i'd suggest a 5th or 6th gen Honda Accord. Saloon, hatch, coupe or Aerodeck (estate version) available. The Coupe and Aerodeck are USA built models and if you want to transport a 10' worktop or two, even the Coupe will do it, just put the back seats down! Be careful of the windscreen though!
Seats go down in the saloon too last i knew and obviously in the hatch and Aerodeck versions. If it's been looked after (and no muppets have used the wrong ATF in the autobox - manuals are available but the autobox is better than a manual) then there's no reason why it shouldn't continue to challenege a Volvo for longevity, certainly in terms of mileage.

Anything made from 2000 onwards will need a Type Approved catalytic converter which it will have had from new. If you ever need to replace the cat for whatever reason, the repalcement must be Type Approved. Anything before 2000 just needs a cat that works - in practice there's very little difference in them except to your wallet.

As for a towbar, that depends on the previous owners unless you have one fitted.

If the Accord doesn't suit, have a look at the Mazda 6 range aka the Ford Mondeo Mk2/3 in that age range. Again, a range of bdy styles and generally long-lived if looked after. Both the Accord and Mondeo/Mazda 6 have a nice driving characteristic and safe, predictable handling. I would have added the 5th gen Accords equivalent, the Rover 600 but you won't get a decent one for your budget and there was only one body style which was a saloon but the cavernous boot is shared with the Accord models (inc the Coupe).
Most of those cars will see 40mpg easily on a sensible run, not so sure pootling around the New Forest, more like late 20s, early 30s.

Avoid anything French or German from the 90s, the anti-corrosion was non-existent and there were more electrical problems than you can shake a stick at on them too.

Another off-the-wall suggestion would be a Vauxhall Carlton or Omega, Carlton for niche appeal and huge load-lugging to rival a 7/9x5, Omega not quite so spacious but a capable vehicle nonetheless and the prices are in the doldrums at the moment for them. The V6 is the better engine than the 2.2 4-pot although the 2.0 16v is a good unit.

Hopefully a few suggestions there to give you food for thought!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: