Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Aug 4th, 2022, 19:05   #3103
Othen
Premier Member

Default Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the

Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning...

... so the RB is sold, over the telephone to a very nice sounding Scottish chap from the borders. Better than that, the AW71 gearbox is sold with the motor car for an additional fee. I'm really happy that the RB will be going to a good home.

I've offered to help the Scot in getting the motor car and gearbox to him (at his cost, but keeping overheads to a minimum) 270 miles away. At the moment hiring a car trailer near here in Corby looks favourite.

In a lengthy discussion the Scot asked whether I might be interested in swapping the gearbox for him before shipping, and so not transporting 80kg of iron to Scotland needlessly; in effect completing the sub-project here before taking the car (with its AW71 transmission) North. There is some merit in the idea in that I've already assembled the parts and tools here to do the job, but clearly some risk as well. I'm mulling the idea over; I'm under no obligation but perhaps I wouldn't mind writing this last chapter in the RB story.

:-)