View Single Post
Old Apr 1st, 2022, 14:30   #1
Clough89

Default Advice on Buying 1978 Volvo 245 DL

Hi all,

Some of you have given great advice to me before, in my search for an early 244/245.

I recently saw an advertised orange-coloured 1978 245 DL, and today I travelled to go and see the car. The car was laid up in a heated garage since 1988, and was only taken out of hibernation (so far as I understand) last year. The current owner was very helpful, and has invested a lot of time and funds to get the car into good mechanical shape, which showed during the test drive. The car is also structurally sound as far as I can tell, with excellent sills, wheel arches.

But there are a few scruffy spots and patches of surface rust, including a rusty corner at the lower-right side of the tailgate, and another spot along the roof line where the tailgate hinge is (see picture). If I were to buy the car, I would want to get these rectified straight away. So I'm asking - as a rookie - if anyone knows an approximate price to get these cosmetic rust patches seen to? I'm not looking for a pristine car (I want to use it on a regular basis and for fun camping trips etc.), but I also don't want to leave rust spots unchecked. Should I walk away altogether?

There is also a significant tear to the driver's seat; this is less important, but does anyone know how much it would cost to re-cloth the seat?

The asking price is GBP 6450, which I think is probably a little too much for the car in this condition. So, based on advice and how much it would cost to repair, I could offer something slightly lower.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (290.4 KB, 60 views)
Clough89 is offline   Reply With Quote