View Single Post
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 17:59   #4
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

this is a fairly common discussion around here, search and you'll find various threads

the adjusters are point of contention for some, I'll just point that out now and save others the effort lol the official party line is they work fine without them if installed and maintained correctly

list of bits required to do the job in full
replace cable from lever to equaliser bar (under centre console) about £15
replace 2 main cables to hubs about £30 the pair
replace all the springs in the rear hubs about £20-30 (get proper volvo ones for the shoes)
examine / regrease the expander and make sure it's clamped tightly onto the cable end (free if you don't buy new ones, about £20 if you do)
replace the shoes about £40 (everyone will tell you Volvo branded for correct friction) as advised above re: delamination and they're cheap enough why would you not

replace the disc/drum and pads if necessary (costs vary)

I will say though contrary to popular opinion I did put the adjusters in myself because I liked the extra adjustment and being able to get them exactly bang on equal both sides, and I was finding one side gets slightly tighter than that other. I didn't bother replacing the little short cable at the front and maybe that was the reason

anyway mine holds the car on anything from 1 click just waiting in neutral at the lights to 3 clicks depending how steep the hill is, I used 4 clicks once on a really steep hill in the lake district

(as to garage recommendations I would have to leave that to someone near your area obviously but the info still might be useful in case you feel like you're being mugged off)

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Jan 19th, 2022 at 18:06.
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote