View Single Post
Old Dec 30th, 2020, 17:00   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn440 View Post
Many thanks Laird for these suggestions.

The earth connection was loose, since I had removed the ignition unit.

I have now tried Easy Start squirting into the black plastic opening created by removing the air cleaner hose (picture attached) while cranking the engine and slowly pressing the accelerator. The engine did not fire at all despite repeating this process three times. In the picture you can see that some of the Easy Start formed a liquid and then dripped out of the black plastic opening. Hopefully it will not have damaged the new ignition leads!

My assumption now is that either a dodgy rotor arm or distributor cap is resulting in too weak a voltage pulse to create a spark at the spark plug terminals. Hopefully when I receive the new rotor arm and distributor cap this will get the engine running. If not, I am a little stumped, fuel, correctly timed spark and compression should result in a running engine.

Cheers,

Martin
I forgot to say and i don't suppose you thought to check Martin - are the plugs damp? Inside i mean from repeated starting attempts.

Might be worth whipping the plugs out and cleaning them/drying them then retesting with the Easy Start. While you have them out, also check the plug gap, not sure what it should be on that engine but i'm sure the owners manual will tell you.

Also have you had a look inside the dizzy cap?

Check the carbon brush is intact, clean any corrosion (usually white) off the terminals inside the cap and wipe it out if it's damp. Also clean the rotor arm contacts by rubbing them across the grain of a pair of jeans or the sidewall of a tyre if you don't have any emery cloth.

Don't use sandpaper!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote