View Single Post
Old Dec 28th, 2020, 18:13   #1
Brooklyn440

Default 440SI Ignition Capacitor/Condenser – Weak Spark

Our 440 is cranking over but failing to start. This is a progressive problem, which has got worse over time. Initially by cranking over the engine and depressing the accelerator it would start, but at times ran roughly. The engine is as follows:

• Fenix 3 computer/engine management
• B18U engine, 1.8 litre single point injection 200/203

Using an in-line spark plug tester there seems to be a weak spark. I have replaced the ignition control unit including base unit and primary/secondary coils. I have also changed the ignition leads, the flywheel position sensor and the spark plugs. I have a new distributor cap and rotor arm on order.
When changing out the ignition unit I discovered at the bottom of it the black capacitor/condenser shown in the attached photograph.

The following is written on this capacitor:
FACON
220μF
DC 2635F9V
16V
Made in France

I am somewhat surprised that this capacitor is present since with electronic ignition I thought there was no longer a need for a capacitor/condenser to prevent contact breaker points arcing and becoming damaged. However, since this capacitor is present I assume it has a useful purpose -does anyone know what the function is for this capacitor ? Potentially it might help boost the spark and since I know that capacitors tend to deteriorate over time, I was thinking to replace it. However, finding a 220μF ignition capacitor is proving to be difficult.

An Intermotor condenser 35130 seems to have been used on the 240 and 240 but this capacitor seems only to have capacitance of 0,25 µF which is much lower. Hence any advice on where to buy a suitable 220μF ignition capacitor would be much appreciated ?
If anyone from the symptoms described above can make suggestions as to what the fault might be that would be much appreciated. I have interrogated the diagnostic unit and for position 2 returned a no fault 1 1 1. I am not sure if fault codes would appear if the car does not start – can anyone advise ?
Many thanks,
Martin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FACON_Ignition_Capacitor.jpg (102.8 KB, 7 views)
Brooklyn440 is offline   Reply With Quote