View Single Post
Old May 13th, 2022, 18:34   #10
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgrid View Post
Many thanks for all the helpful advice and comments.

Just when you think you are on a path to the future, something else turns up. I've been offered a "D" reg 740 estate for £300. I'm minded to take it, as it's getting close to the free tax and no MOT status. It's on a SORN, and scrap value is over £250, so I'm prepared to buy it sight unseen.

I'll keep you guys posted if I get the estate.
It would be a useful source of spares at the very least. We had an '87 (D) 745 GLE (2.3 auto) from 1998 to 2016, which we only sold because it failed it's MOT for advanced underside corrosion. Was quoted £4-500 to repair - would have been a different story if I could weld and had the necessary facilities. My wife had a similar spec 744 from '98 to '14 that went to over 250K, but was becoming the 'money pit' alluded to by 'Moomoo' and so was sold on.

I'm biased, but I would always go for a 2.3 over a 2.0, especially if you expect to do much towing. It has oodles of low-down torque, where the 2.0 can struggle when heavily laden and is not appreciably any more economical. Over the years, both our cars returned an average 27 - 28 MPG and over 30 on a long run.

Regards, John.