Thread: Egr valve error
View Single Post
Old Aug 16th, 2021, 20:59   #12
Ian21401
Premier Member

Not the same car, but my daughter’s previous car was a 2007my, V50 D5 2.4 diesel. At mileage 59,800 it developed a fault causing it to intermittently drop into limp mode then back to normal again together with the warning “Engine System Service Required”. This gradually became worse and more frequent and the limp mode lasted longer. The EGR valve was suspect so a local indi. removed and cleaned the EGR valve and associated pipework. It wasn’t particularly dirty. The fault and the warning persisted. Further checks by the indi. found that the EGR valve was not opening and closing as it should but they could open and close it using their code reader device. The next suspect was the device attached to the EGR valve. ( I now know that that device is known as a “Valve Position Sensor ) A replacement of said device was ordered from our local dealership who were able to supply but did comment that they had never ever been requested to supply said device. (Part no. V31216573. Cost £150.00 ex VAT. ). The part was duly fitted and the problem resolved. I was later advised on this forum that that device incorporates a stepper motor which operates the valve and which is activated by the engine management system.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote