View Single Post
Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 21:01   #3
Davef
VOC Member

Default RE: Tweaking an 8502.5 20V

Alex has pointed you to the easy options. To go further you would have to have the head off and get the ports machined out and polished. I am not aware of anywhere you can get high lift cams for the 2.5 although you could get the ones you have re-profiled. There is no scope to skim the head either as the tolerances on it now are on just about maximum. Having things like the flywheel lightened and balanced, crankshafts balanced are just cost prohibitive. I’ve played with mine but having the resources of just about one of the best workshops and mechanics you will find we have got near to 240 bhp on the road with out compromising the drivability of the car. On a race track I have had it up to 150 mph + and 0 - 60 in 5.2 seconds which would make a lot of these T5 and R owners green. (with no Turbo lag!). I wouldn’t attempt to do on my own what has been done to my car but I must admit it is great fun to drive. Surprisingly all the work hasn’t had a detrimental effect on the fuel consumption getting 25 ish around town and 40 ish on a long haul. I came back from Barcelona recently and averaged 41.8 mpg!