Thread: Seriously?
View Single Post
Old Dec 24th, 2021, 12:11   #1493
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicycleBoy View Post
Historic vehicle status will save you £££ a year in tax & MOT costs, every year. They're worth that much more, at least. Add in any extra insurance reductions, ULEZ exemptions et al and the price increase is almost baked in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
I concur, however, when I was looking for my 240, I bought newer because I am no linger able/willing to do the bodywork, heavy mechanical maintenance an older vehicle may need.
The eight years of £280 ved until tax exemption is one I'll have to take on the chin!
I'd still MOT a car even if exempt.

I can understand why 40 plus motors are dearer and wanted by some more able buyers!
Thank you both. I don't entirely disagree at all ...

I've got other stuff on my mind but as best I can think, my basic thoughts re historic status remains:

1. In the current political fiscal situation, the tax exemption might be withdrawn or reduced, maybe at a budget not too far ahead.

2. Insurance premiums for historic status if there is no mot might increase depending on claims data. Some insurers now charge higher premiums to very low mleage drivers ...

3. Self inspection is no commendation. Including for the owner's own safety. How many expert owners overlook or forget to check tyre miss-match and measure tread check for damage, corrosion, lights, play or wear in suspension ..... &c &c &c?

4. Buyers and any significant other with a veto, might well be influenced by such matters as above.

For myself, I would buy a historic status car, if, the car ticked the boxes for me, but, I would be very cautious in absence of a searchable history of independent inspections. And reluctant to pay a premium, 'cos re all things including the continuation of historic status .... prediction is difficult especially concerning the future ... init.

Stephen

—Bertrand Russell

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Dec 24th, 2021 at 12:14.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post: