Thread: PV: - Rally Maya Mexico
View Single Post
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 17:47   #8
adarvasi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 142 Guy View Post
The rather crude rule of thumb is that you lose an average of about 3% of your rated horsepower per 1000 ft increase in altitude above sea level. On top of that, most carburetor equipped engines start to run with rich fuel mixtures as the altitudes increases which further compromises performance. The loss in horsepower and over fueling may actually be a good thing because your cooling system also suffers reduced capacity because of the lower mass air flow through the radiator at higher altitudes.

When you did the engine switch, perhaps you should have switched to a B230 FT or something similar. A turbocharger mixed with some EFI would have helped with the altitude problem. However, I suspect that would have violated the '1980' rule.
ok ni

Thank you 142Guy, as a private pilot I am quite familiar with how the altitude affects non turbo engines, and the mixture change requirements at different altitudes, the advantage with the aircraft is that you can control the mixture from inside the cab. It’s quite tricky (at least for me) to adjust the mixture on the SUs at altitude. Recently bought a color tune spark plug that helps a lot.
adarvasi is offline   Reply With Quote