View Single Post
Old May 11th, 2021, 16:14   #6
cheshired5
Premier Member

Oh go on then, I'll bite....

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
Everyone tells you to not change the water pump. There is lots of Volvo ‘Lore’ BS out there.
Not BS at all. Find a forum thread where the original pump has failed before the second timing belt change when all belt and pulleys have been changed on schedule. .

Quote:
the belt is changed at 108K, so even if it is good there is no guarantee that it will be at 216,000 miles (next change).
Simple answer..... Yes it will be fine.
Never even considered changing the pump on several 200+k D5s with their original pump.

Quote:
To not change the pump you must be totally poor
Lol, not true. Much like prematurely changing a pump only a third into its life doesn't mean you're rich.
Not changing the pump just means that you understand and appreciate its quality and the many years and examples of non failure.
By your rationale, someone who doesn't change their tyres or their oil every 3000 must be poor.

Quote:
One bit of advice I will give is that people are right not to remove a top quality water pump then replace with a pattern part, get genuine Volvo.
It has a reputation for being a top quality pump because it does not need changing.
If you do change it at 96k, you're relegating it to being a bog standard, average pump.
You can't have it both ways.

For all of your sage advice, not a single mention of the auxiliary belt and pulleys which will trash your engine long before a water pump will.

I also noticed that you didn't mention changing the alternator clutch pulley.
Now that is a D5 killer with plenty of examples and would be a much better use of your money..... assuming you're rich enough.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post: