View Single Post
Old Sep 7th, 2021, 13:33   #29
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
It is a bit of an axiom John but from what i understand from the new regs (saw them briefly online some time back) it is essentially repeating what we already know. Almost as if those writing it are justifying their existence by rewriting rules.

Not sure on the circumstances of the cyclist you mention being wiped out by the tractors trailer but i can imagine he was cycling between the trailer and verge/kerb to make use of the slipstream effect when the tractor turned and the trailer wiped the cyclist off the road.
If so, he'd obviously been lucky until that point.
The cyclist was riding downhill normally and safely, 'L.S.'. The tractor driver attempted an unwise overtake. His large trailer, perhaps due to under inflated tyres or over loading, was swaying like a pendulum, oscilating 18" to either side. An oncoming car caused the driver to pull back prematurely and his trailer struck the cyclist on the shoulder and threw him to the ground. Despite the best efforts of those who stopped to help, he died later that day in the hospital to which he had been airlifted. In the court proceedings that followed, his widow publicly forgave the tractor driver - very generous act on her part.

Neither all cyclists, nor all drivers are inconsiderate or reckless; it is the minority that are who get the majority that are not a bad name. I know emergency workers will see this sort of thing most every day, but this incident affected me deeply.

Regards, John.