View Single Post
Old Sep 7th, 2021, 08:48   #26
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post
It make no difference. It is already illegal to run over pedestrians and cyclists and has been since cars were invented, so as a matter of simple practicality this new guidance does nothing more than put the prevailing situation in print.
Thank you, 'Familyman 90', t was both aware of, and agree with that! With respect, though, isn't it stating the obvious, rather?

The issue is, I feel, rather more subtle than you perhaps infer. I'm sure no one sets out to deliberately run down a cyclist, or a pedestrian, for that matter. I know that I don't and I'm equally sure that the driver of the tractor whose trailer was responsible for the death of a cyclist immediately in front of us did not, either.

Nevertheless, a family man in his 60s set out for a ride that fateful Sunday morning and did not return home. That is why I care about this as much as I'm sure you do, but I do not think that statements such as yours above either greatly support the cause or appreciably assist those who may not yet have considered the issue to the depth that you clearly have.

Regards, John.

Last edited by john.wigley; Sep 7th, 2021 at 08:53.
john.wigley is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john.wigley For This Useful Post: