Thread: General: 140: - Purchasing a 144
View Single Post
Old Mar 16th, 2022, 20:38   #28
cassell
Member since 1988

I just wanted to update this thread to let those who may have commented on the white 144 that was for sale to say that I'm the new owner. I already have a 1800ES which I've owned for over 22 years and is currently undergoing a mechanical revamp which will take some time.

As an active member of the Cheshire section of VOC I needed another Volvo to participate in this season's classic shows and after scouring the internet I found the white 1969 144 in Scotland. My original thought was to re-sell the 144 after my 1800ES is finished but it's so good, I intend to (probably) keep both!

A brief history for those interested, registered on 13th August 1969 to a partially-disabled owner in Scotland who had a few dealer modifications made to accommodate his disability. These included moving the handbrake to between the front seats, lights, wipers, choke controls moved to the left of the steering wheel and a significant re-shaping of the driver's seat backrest. Apart from the seat, all of these remain in place today. The gentleman owned the 144 for almost 40 years and did around 50k miles in all that time. It was then almost lost to the scrappage scheme and banger racing fraternity but fortunately saved by a second owner.

A third owner bought the car in 2012, fitted a good used Amazon driver's seat, (same upholstery etc) and used the car for Sunday drives and Scottish shows until the pandemic hit us. By then the mileage had risen to 62k miles yet the car had apparently never been out of Scotland!

He had the car repainted in the original Volvo 42 white and fitted period Minilite alloys around 4 years ago and due to a house move with less garaging, decided to sell the car this year. I viewed the car after a 520 mile round trip to Alloa, found a few jobs that need doing and struck a good deal to purchase it. It has never been welded, doesn't need any, and is a good honest 53 year old Volvo which will be a pleasure to display at local shows etc. I'm already committed to attend the Volvo Owners Club event at The Silverstone Classic in August so I may take it there.

She finally arrived at her new home in Cheshire on Monday night by transporter and is now safely tucked up in the garage, I just hope the 1800ES doesn't get jealous!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Loaded.jpeg (67.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 49798510902_29b8b5907c_k (1).jpg (286.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 2019-06-03 14.44.36.jpg (60.4 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by cassell; Mar 16th, 2022 at 20:41.
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cassell For This Useful Post: