Thread: 260 General: - 265 GLE - Proud new owner
View Single Post
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 16:21   #9
Audrey Old
VOC Member

Hi Seb and welcome to the forums

Lovely-looking car and the same age as my gold one, but you have the rare manual-gearbox one - lucky you. I used my first one (also metallic blue) as a tow-car, and it was brilliant, if a little thirsty. However, the rust got a serious hold so it went to be a source of spares for a 262.

My 50k mile gold one also has a small place needing a repair just behind a rear mudflap - you can see daylight through a bit of the spare wheel-well! Apart from that, almost mint and drives like a train. Otherwise its stock, the way it will be kept.

According to the DVLA freedom-of-information channels I researched last year (via these Forums) there are only a few 260/264/265 left - differing models have survival numbers varying from just three cars to about 30. Yours being manual, it might be the former category, so look after it !

Don't listen to people running it down - I had a stupid ignorant tart stop and criticize me when I was putting new rear shocks on my show-164, but such simpletons don't realise most of the energy a car consumes from birth to death comes from the manufacturing and scrapping process itself. By keeping the old cars going we are helping keep the planet from becoming a totally throw-away society AND keeping all the spares suppliers in business.

Paul
Audrey Old is offline   Reply With Quote