Thread: V40 or V60
View Single Post
Old Feb 27th, 2024, 14:22   #5
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsteetley View Post
Thank you for taking the time to respond.
I think it's fair to say that the V60 will be the best option.
It's a bit smaller than the estate mondeo so more manageable for her whilst also keeping me happy in maintaining a bit of size and space.
I'll miss throwing the surfboards in the back of the mondeo but I think the roof will be fine.

The D4 engine is looking like a good option. It seems like it's cheap on annual road tax whilst also being powerful and economical.

Is the High Performance and Harman Kardon the same or are they different systems? Struggling to get to grips with the options.

Thanks again,

Tom
Harman Kardon is the Premium system. Others might be able to comment on its merits and its demerits. For car audio, my High Performance system seems adequate, and a sensible upgrade might be simply to replace the speakers with better quality and more efficient units. This would improve sound quality and increase volume. I've been meaning to do it for six years but never did. If I want really good quality sound then I listen at home anyway, where I'm not having to mentally filter out car noise.

The 4-cylinder D4 is a lovely engine in use but some examples prior to engine number 1501327 suffer from very high oil consumption, which can be very, very costly to fix. It's also hard to know whether an example that's for sale has the issue as it isn't something that'll be advertised.

Also, the 4-cylinder D4 can suffer from a blocked EGR cooler. Mine has had two of these during my ownership, and they cost around £800 to replace.

So if you're looking for a D4 and ULEZ doesn't matter, get an earlier 5-cylinder example from, say, 2013 or early 2014 or, if 2013 is too old or ULEZ does matter, then get a much later 2016-onward 4-cylinder example. Redesigned pistons and rings were introduced in mid-2016 on all 4-cylinder VEA engines, i.e. D2, D3, and D4, but it's always worth checking the engine number of any example that's for sale just to be certain. The dealer might ask why but if they want the sale then they'll comply.

Having said all of that, a later example of the 4-cylinder D3 - again check that engine number - would be a good option. Ultimately, it's not quite as powerful as the D4, but with a single turbo, and a 6-speed (instead of 8-speed) automatic with shorter overall gearing, it's actually slightly more responsive at lower speeds than the D4. And it's still no slouch at higher speeds, being able to do 130mph.

Also, the R Design version that my good lady had was a super fun drive, with extra grip, more immediate steering and flatter cornering. Well suited to Cornwall IMO. Also, I believe that the D3 is less prone to EGR cooler issues. My good lady's D3 didn't suffer from that at all in her four years of ownership.

To see how an R Design looks, check out this D5 beauty.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...o=2014&fromsra

Last edited by Sotosound; Feb 27th, 2024 at 15:05.
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote