View Single Post
Old Jun 15th, 2023, 16:32   #1
Salop Farmer

Default B18 B overheating

I wondering if I’m being paranoid but my newly built engine always seems to run hot( not off the scale but hot). I have tried with a second gauge and same story. When I open the bonnet after a run everything seems a bit to warm to my liking! Let me start at the beginning, After a long slow restoration I decided to give my 1960 PV a bit more power. I acquired a B18D engine, skimmed the head to give 10:1 CR fitted a K cam with new lifters and finished off with KD needles in the carbs. The block was bored and honed to +0.020 oversize and fitted with German manufactured pistons supplied by Brookhouse. The bores were checked for size before assembly and found to be spot on. I did notice on assembly that the pistons seemed a very close fit in the bores on the thrust side. Never the less I continued and checked rotation after fitting all four pistons. I have to admit the engine was slightly harder to turn than previous ones I have rebuilt. But I have presumed it will free up after running in. Admittedly the B16 radiator I am forced to use can’t help with this issue but it is in excellent condition and from hearing others experiences adequate for the job. Any suggestions will be most welcome. Thanks
Salop Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Salop Farmer For This Useful Post: