View Single Post
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 22:16   #26
woolfie1948

The new non ballast type coil solved the problem of engine not running and in fact it seemed to be going rather well other than the dreaded pinking.
The changes made to the curve by H+H (who said they could not find any faults when on their test rig) did little for the pinking so have been running at 6 btdc instead of the book 10 btdc to reduce it as much as possible.
Before I sent my dizzy to H+H I did buy a used one on ebay that never arrived having got lost in the post, however, talking to the seller a couple of weeks ago about another purchase he said it had just made it back to him, so I bought it again.
It arrived last week and so I cleaned and oiled it before putting on a condensor and new points and fitting it to the car.
As with the original one I set dwell as the book, but tried the timing 10 btdc as the book.
What I cannot now understand is driving it this afternoon although it felt a bit down on power and tickover a bit more lumpy, it did not pink at all!
I am thinking of trying a bit more advance or tweeking the carbs to improve the performance but I think stopping dreaded pink must be a major step towards my target of getting it running spot on.
woolfie1948 is offline   Reply With Quote