Thread: Amazon: - Brakes how bad are they
View Single Post
Old Oct 3rd, 2021, 12:49   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

[QUOTE=Army;2775035]
Quote:
Originally Posted by norustplease View Post

A booster - whether it is after market or not - does indeed just increase or boost the pressure in the slave cylinder / caliper.

The effort required comes across to the driver as a more subjective (as well as objective) experience. You feel as though you are not having to press down as hard and can (potentially) reduce speed more easily.

#####

My impression of the information given in this thread comes across as being potentially confusing.

ABS - advanced braking systems - do not (generally) contain a boosting element and so do not increase the braking ability in terms of the behaviour of the friction material rubbing against the braking surface. They do, however, for the majority of drivers provide a better safer system which helps to prevent wheels from locking up.

The chances of a vehicle stopping within a shorter distance fitted with some sort of anti-lock / ABS system vs a vehicle without ABS - when there is a chance that the wheels / tyres will skid under braking - is much greater for the ABS fitted vehicle (which is why it was invented in the first place!)
Now that really is confusing!

Why, then, do both my cars, both equipped with ABS - Anti-lock Braking Systems - have servos from the factory? Even the Jensen FF which had a mechanical anti-lock braking system developed by Dunlop (think there may have been someone else involved too but can't remember just now) had a servo!
Also, the oldest car i've owned so far, a 1967 Rover P6 had a servo - granted it was remote living down near the headlamps if memory serves (it was 35 years ago!) but a direct mechanical link to the brake pedal and then after the servo was the master cylinder.

The servo is there to reduce the effort needed by the driver on the pedal to bring the vehicle to a stop quickly. No more, no less.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote