Thread: Amazon: - Brakes how bad are they
View Single Post
Old Oct 3rd, 2021, 12:35   #15
Army
marches on his stomach

[QUOTE=norustplease;2775032]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [I
Laird Scooby;2771430]It's irrelevant whether it's single circuit, dual circuit, dual circuit with additional diagonal split in the event of one circuit failure to ensure both front brakes still operate, with or without ABS, the servo only increases the pressure into the master cylinder from the pedal.[/I]

Only just reading this. I thought that add on aftermarket boosters were fitted between the master cylinder and the rest of the system. So the effort into the master cylinder is the same as it was before assistance, but it is magnified into the wheel cylinders.
A booster - whether it is after market or not - does indeed just increase or boost the pressure in the slave cylinder / caliper.

The effort required comes across to the driver as a more subjective (as well as objective) experience. You feel as though you are not having to press down as hard and can (potentially) reduce speed more easily.

#####

My impression of the information given in this thread comes across as being potentially confusing.

ABS - advanced braking systems - do not (generally) contain a boosting element and so do not increase the braking ability in terms of the behaviour of the friction material rubbing against the braking surface. They do, however, for the majority of drivers provide a better safer system which helps to prevent wheels from locking up.

The chances of a vehicle stopping within a shorter distance fitted with some sort of anti-lock / ABS system vs a vehicle without ABS - when there is a chance that the wheels / tyres will skid under braking - is much greater for the ABS fitted vehicle (which is why it was invented in the first place!)
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote