Thread: Amazon: - Brakes how bad are they
View Single Post
Old Sep 18th, 2021, 01:41   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpydad View Post
Hi
no he is talking about a in line servo MGB type it all you can get at that money
so you cant use them

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392904728282?

this one is 56 £
That's a remote servo and master cylinder kit as fitted not only to the MGB but Rover P6 and many Land Rover models. I think the one you're thinking of was its predecessor which, if memory serves correctly, used a normal master cylinder on the bulkhead with a hydraulic line to the remote servo/MC assembly and because of bleeding problems and leaks, the system was recalled and a mechanical link fitted to the remote servo/MC and brake system such as the one you've linked to.

The early ones (i can't quite remember how they were meant to function) but the fluid was shared (maybe recirculated?) between the two MCs which caused much of the problems and yes, in that case using a single line servo on a dual circuit brake system would cause a problem.
I seem to recall BLMC as they would have been at the time recalled all MGBs with the "inline brake booster" because of the problems with it. I'd all but forgotten about that horrible thing, maybe someone recalls them better than i do and can shed more light on it but adding a normal servo to any braking system will improve matters.

Purely anecdotal, the servo on my Rover developed a leak a few years back, caused rough idling (vacuum leaking out/air leaking in), poor braking and a lot of hissing, worse when i used the brakes which, being auto, i had to a lot at a standstill to prevent it "creeping".

I simply unbolted the MC from the servo (2 nuts and washers) on the engine side, unbolted the 4 nuts on the cabin side, removed the vacuum connection then eased the servo away from the bulkhead until it was clear, eased the MC off the front of it (called the back in that vid i linked to) then slid the servo out sideways over the rear exhaust bank.

To fit the replacement, all i did was "Haynes it" then test, all good. The servo waas secondhand bought via ebay i think (several years back and i've been asleep since) and could have come from almost any model in the 800 range (except the 825 KV6) so may or may not have had ABS, might have been from a diesel or any of the myriad 2.0 models produced but all used the same mounting points and servo.

The point of this slightly off-topic anecdote is that most servos are simple animals and can be found in several different vehicles.

As long as the servo the OP gets is suitable for his model, it won't be an inline booster type and should be easy enough to retrofit and return his brakes to easier operation.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote