View Single Post
Old May 30th, 2021, 16:54   #1
280E

Default Moral support needed - T5 camshaft timing & seals

The unusual Bank Holiday weekend weather seemed like a good time to tackle a timing belt replacement on the C70

On dismantling, however, a few 'issues' have cropped up....

Firstly, there was a fair amount of oil down the engine side of the inner timing belt cover. Not dripping, but you could see where it had coated the lower engine mount with 'crud'.

I really should have performed the 'rubber glove test' to see whether the PCV system is functioning properly - but I haven't

Is it likely that any camshaft seal 'weep' would cease if the PCV system was fixed (assuming it's faulty) - or has the damage been done? Or could it just simply be worn out seals - the engine has 156k on it? There's a trace of oil in the 'nose' of the inlet cam, but it's hard to see behind the exhaust VVT assembly. However, most oil appears to have been seeping down the exhaust side.

Secondly, the exhaust VVT pulley looks a bit wrong. I would not have expected the fixing bolts to be so far up against the end of the adjustment slot, so that might need sorting, too I would imagine that if the pulleys are coming off then the seals might as well be done at the same time? The timing marks appear to be where they ought to be.

It's one of those times when you really wish you hadn't bothered, and I can't quite decide how to proceed.

I could just fit a new belt, get the car running again and test the PCV system. At least that needs to be functioning properly before any seals are replaced - or it'll just leak again!

Are the seals hard to extract without damaging the sealing surface on the shaft?

Sorry for rambling on a bit - just feeling a bit deflated at the moment
Attached Images
File Type: jpg belt.jpg (161.2 KB, 21 views)
280E is offline   Reply With Quote