View Single Post
Old Aug 21st, 2021, 19:04   #30
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max2ksr View Post
Hi, so being new to Volvo's, I asked about a fluid change on my auto box (2015 D4 8sp auto).

The dealership said "filled for life" so they wouldn't do it. I'm still dubious, as Audi said the same about my 120k mi A5, then did it and the car was loads better.

The impression I'm getting from here is that they aren't filled for life and are serviceable items. Or are they voluntarily serviceable items?

Any ideas on cost for a dealership/ease of doing it yourself?
They say they’re “sealed for life”, but I as well as many many others would advise you change the fluid, regardless of what Volvo tell you. Volvo only advise changing the fluid if its used in “arduous” conditions. However, that doesn’t mean someone that doesn’t use the car in these conditions never needs to change the fluid. You wouldn’t drive a car for years on end without changing the oil, so a transmission should be no different in my opinion. Why Volvo & other manufacturers tell people this “sealed for life” term is beyond me... its a ridiculous statement to make.

For a dealership to do it (if they will) would be around £400… that’s just an approximate guess. An independent Volvo garage could do it much cheaper, probably around £200.

As for doing it yourself, its possible. However, you need VIDA diagnostics to reset the fluid counter & to check to transmission fluid temperature.

Make sure you use the correct fluid, or a fluid that meets the spec for your transmission.

If you do any towing, then you should change the fluid every 25-30,000 miles. If you don’t do any towing, then you could stretch that to 40-50,000 miles max. This is what an independent garage told me.

Last edited by Kev0607; Aug 21st, 2021 at 19:09.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote