Old Oct 30th, 2020, 01:50   #2
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC70Q View Post
Hi, does anyone know the apporximate cost of the folloiwng repairs:

- offside front track rodend ball joint dust cover,
- offside and nearside rear suspension arm pin/bush

Maindealer vs local garage compariosn would be particularly helpful.

I've tried to get the info from the maindealers but just get met by obfuscation and avoiding answering the question.

cheers:
I can't give you exact prices as such, but I can give you an idea with regards to the cost of the parts.

There's no point in replacing the dust cover. Outer track rod ends (the part that has the ball joint on it) are around £70 each at the dealership, but they're best replaced in pairs (so you need two really). You can buy good quality ones from brands like Lemforder & Moog for around £30-£40 each. Don't buy the cheapest track rods you come across though if at all possible because they don't last. Either buy genuine Volvo, or decent branded aftermarket ones (as mentioned above).

Its also best practice to get an alignment done after replacing the track rod ends too, but don't just get any old one done, get it done at a reputable shop that has a Hunter machine (Costs around £80, the dealership has this equipment too, but it'll probably be more expensive). Labour charges in dealerships are around £140 an hour nowadays. Local garages around my area charge £50 per hour, but that varies greatly.

With regards to "offside and nearside rear suspension arm pin/bush" - This is a bit vague. You need to clarify what part exactly they're referring to here.

Last edited by Kev0607; Oct 30th, 2020 at 02:25.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post: