View Single Post
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 23:21   #40
Afo

Quote:
Originally Posted by T8 driver View Post
Firstly I would like to thank the other users who have posted their experiences regarding the failure of the T8 ERAD--very helpful. I have recently had the same failure and have been treated rather worse by Volvo so I am posting this to warn others.

My T8 is 2018 and the ERAD failed at just over 33k miles and 40 months old. The car has always been serviced in accordance with the manufacturers guidance. Despite the failure being essentially due to a design fault (as I understand it), Volvo would only offer 50% of the c£2500 repair cost as "goodwill" which they grudgingly later increased to 70%--despite the mechanic who tested the car confirming this was a regular issue he was seeing and I should get it covered 100% (in line with what the other posters above have reported).

As this is the 3rd breakdown in 2 years I have experienced in this car all connected to the Hybrid system, I'd advise buyers to proceed with caution. The car is great when it works but I get the sense Volvo are cutting back on the support they are offering. If anyone reading this has had a better recent experience would be good to learn of it.
I've only just joined the forum (though have used the resources several times before) to comment on this thread as it recently proved useful for me.

About 3 weeks ago we had issues with the ERAD and on calling our Volvo dealer to book it in, I mentioned that I'd done some research and knew about the extended warranty - thanks to the info in this thread!

The car was in last week for a total of 4 working days (Thursday to Tuesday) and they replaced the ERAD under Volvo UK warranty. After the initial diagnosis on Day1, I got a call to ask if we wanted to leave it with them because they hadn't provided a courtesy car and I'd mentioned that this may become an issue if they were keeping the car for more than a couple of days. The car is very close to it's 4 year anniversary so I was told that if I didn't book it in before that date, I wouldn't get the warranty cover. After an extra day of having the car, the dealer finished the work of replacing the ERAD and we picked up the car with no charge whatsoever. I am told the work carried out has a 12 month warranty.

All in all, what turned out to be a big worry for potential repair costs, was dealt with fairly smoothly and without any hassle, other than not having a car for a few days.

I'm interested to know if there are any new issues arising from the replacement of the ERAD - is it time to sell the car I wonder?!
Afo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Afo For This Useful Post: