Thread: Seriously?
View Single Post
Old Sep 11th, 2022, 07:17   #2277
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Bidding for this one seems to have stalled at £1,950 - which seems like more or less the right price to me. The auction has less than a day to go and I suspect the seller may be disappointed if he hold out for 4 grand.

:-)
I was curious about this one and bidding ended whilst I was having a cuppa before taking Bob for his first walk (Dan took him for a 3 hour walk last eve, so Bob is having a bit of a lie-in this morn) - so I watched the end of the auction.

There was no frenetic last-minute bidding and it fizzled out at £2,050 - well short of the reserve (which the seller helpfully tells us was £4,000).

We have been commenting on this series of offers and auctions since the end of July; the motor car has 5 months MoT then and only 3 months now. The seller is still holding out for £4,000, but the motor car is never worth that. It remains a £1,500 car plus a bit of allowance for the Weber carburettor set up, so £2,050 wasn't a bad offer.

This isn't a specific comment about Bromsgrove man thinking his slightly old Volvo is worth much more than it really is (well, it is that - but only as an example, I could have selected many others), but a more general observation. Volvo 240s aren't particularly rare and they don't have any particular engineering or aesthetic value (in the way that an E-Type does). They are simple and well built cars that are easy to maintain and drive, and part of their allure is they are quite cheap (compared with, say, 1980s Fords). It is beyond me to understand why so many sellers think their slightly old 240s are worth much more than they really are.

We have seen (over the past 3 years that I have been involved with this forum) and number of over-priced cars, but the market tells us the market for non-historic 240s tops out at £6,000 (and for that they have to be as-new), and most will be in the £1,000 to £3,000 range.

I suppose we will see Bromsgrove man and his 1986 GL saloon again next week, and perhaps every week if he insists on expecting twice what it is worth.

:-)

Last edited by Othen; Sep 11th, 2022 at 07:18. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: