Thread: General: 850: - During cambelt change
View Single Post
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 15:22   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark View Post
Hi All,

My 1996 850R manual is due a cambelt change at 180k. I was wondering if it's worth getting any additional work done whilst the mechanic will be at it (water pump etc)? No specific issues to warrant any major work. Any thoughts?

Thank you
The cambelt tensioner is a very highly engineered device with proper Robust well greased needle roller bearings in the centre where it swivels .Its highly unlikely you will feel any play , but do the usual play and spin to check for roughness.

No the water pump is again a well engineered device and I have not heard of one leaking or failing whatever the mileage since they were launched on the 960 6 cylinder 3 litre engine in 1990 .. I have been working on these on a daily professional basis since well before 1990 . Just spin and check for smoothness and there should be a tiny amount of play which helps the belt find it's centre point . If you don't know the history check for the VOLVO word cast on the pump and if you cant see it assume someone has put a cheap copy on and get a genuine volvo one .

Aux Belt and tensioner should be replaced , however they are not at all troublesome as the 2007 and later ones could be . the USA schedule doesn't change them , they are advised to grease the swivelling faces .