View Single Post
Old Mar 25th, 2024, 10:02   #23
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
You make an interesting point, 'T'. I feel that the application of a little common sense is necessary in situations like this.

You say 'our village', so I'm assuming that the council concerned is your local parish council. I must admit that their action does seem a little Draconian, but look at it from their point of view. Has there been a problem with this recently - large quantities, repeat offences, etc.?

Our PC provides and maintains a number of waste bins throughout the village for the benefit of both residents of, and visitors to, the village. There is a not inconsiderable cost in so doing which is paid for out of their precept. For people to abuse this privilege may be considered antisocial to say the least and can result in an increase in littering in the village.

I know from attending PC meetings as both a member of the public and resident (all are welcome to attend, and there is a period allowed at the start of the meeting for public participation, when matters of concern may be raised) that the problem is by no means confined to your village.

To my knowledge, there have not been any prosecutions, but they do have that power, although it would have to be a very extreme case for it to be invoked. They do, however, monitor the situation when it is brought to their attention, and will take less Draconian action, such as sending a letter to the person concerned if they can be identified, if necessary.

Another difficulty lies in identifying and, if necessary, proving, what constitutes 'household' waste. For example, an empty washing up liquid bottle, especially if included as part of a larger quantity of waste, would almost certainly be considered as such, while a soft drinks bottle of similar capacity may very well not be. It does also seem a little unwise in an age when identity theft is rife to dispose of personal papers in such a way. (We make a point of putting ours in the shredder and then recycling for that very reason!)

As I say, a degree of common sense is needed and most PCs that I know of are reluctant in the extreme to enter such a minefield. Your neighbour might be a little more thoughtful and considerate of others when disposing of his waste in future, and the PC is only looking after your interests as a Council Tax paying (from which their precept is paid) resident.

Your PCs actions do seem to be a bit of an overreaction, but then I don't know the full circumstances or the extent of the problem. Our own PC seems to spend much more time and energy, in conjunction with the police, on drug dealing and fly tipping in secluded places, than it does on waste bin infringement, rightly so in my view. If, like us, you want to live in a pleasant environment, then your PC both needs and deserves your support.

Regards, John.
Hi John,

I was the East Riding County Council that issued the fixed penalty - the local Parish Council I don't think can do that (not in this neck of the woods anyway).

Interested to read your note however, I do take in an interest in the local parish council and they're quite a dedicated bunch that get little to no support and a lot of moaning from the villagers and the county council - hence despite their efforts other than renewing the planters and painting the swing in the park every year, little gets done, which is a missed opportunity.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post: