View Single Post
Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 07:14   #20
FreddieC73

Default Rica and Polestar tuning

I had the RICA on a S80 D5 (185 bhp) and the polestar on a V90 D5 (235 bhp). Although the RICA was on the paper increasing power more than the Polestar, the effect of the Polestar on the drivetrain settings (gearbox, AWD) was a completely different game. It felt like the RICA increased just turbo boost, the car was “going more”, but it made turbo lag more evident. The Polestar was simply impressive, the car was driving differently. Add that it was difficult (two big insurance companies said no) and eventually expensive (premium more than doubled) to insure the car after the RICA tuning, while the Polestar tuning did non increase the cost of the insurance, and to me it is a no brainer: the Polestar tuning may cost more upfront, but in the long term is more cost effective and more fun. Despite both promising improved MPG, in reality MPG did not change in normal use, and was significantly worse if the extra power was used. I am no expert, but extra bhp and better MPG seem to good to be true…
I am, however, unsure whether the Polestar tuning will affect your drivetrain settings or simply the engine- I think the drivetrain is affected from 2018. Worth checking before deciding.
FreddieC73 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FreddieC73 For This Useful Post: