View Single Post
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 00:04   #28
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Looking through your pics i don't see a boost guage so i'm guessing that Spain is the same as here - no boost guage means B230FK aka LPT so it won't be a ball of fire.

If you get the engine warm then accelerate from a standing start in 1st gear and as soon as you can, floor the throttle, you should feel an extra push as the turbo comes in. Alternatively accelerate gently to about 15-20mph (20-30kmh) in 1st then change into 2nd and then floor it - as it builds up boost you should feel the increased push coming in.
Usually if a turbo is working as it should, there isn't any noise, perhaps a slight whine/whistle at higher revs when working hard but other than that, you shouldn't really hear anything.

I have heard of the linkage between the wastegate actuator and the wastegate disconnecting resulting in no boost, might be worth having a look between the actuator (the diaphragm thing on the turbo) to make sure the linkage is connected to the wastegate, can't remember if it's a circlip or E-clip (like a circlip but without the lugs for the circlip pliers) but if it has been lost (which is the usual cause of the linkage disconnecting) you can put the linkage back together then wind a piece of single strand wire into the groove and twist the ends together to stop it falling off as a test. If all is good, find the right size E-clip/circlip to do the job properly.
Thx. I'll try that tomorrow. I think i do feel the boost a little bit, but not sure. Need to go to a more secluded road to make a proper test as i only drove it inside Barcelona so far.
SalvadorP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SalvadorP For This Useful Post: