View Single Post
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 23:04   #7
DavidI

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles p View Post
I've decided to move over from my V70 to an SUV type simply because the roads are getting worse. I want an XC60 manual, AWD with a Euro 6 diesel engine - and not to pay too much so I'm looking to find a 16/17 plate car with reasonable mileage. The spec that I want (manual, AWD, leather/heated) seems to be pretty scarce in SE Lux form (my ideal version) largely because most are geartronic. The manual versions seem to be R Design, and since my prime motivation is to smooth out the roads, that seems counterproductive but is that my prejudice shining through.
I've seen a reasonable R design with 18 wheels, so how much harsher would that be than a normal version?
One final query - I've had 5 pot diesel V70s of P2 and P3 in the past but does the 2.4 engine in the XC60 make a much rougher car than the newer 2.0 4 pot?

Thanks

Charles
Your question is the very one I was asking 3 weeks ago when I shortlisted a few 'new model' 2017 - 2018 XC60's to replace my, now previous, 2010 MY XC60 D5 SE Lux Auto.

Last week I bit the bullet and took delivery of a 2018 MY R Design Pro D5 Powerpulse, complete with 20" wheels. Road test reports on the ride quality of the R-Design are certainly mixed but, so far, I have been perfectly happy with the car.

It certainly has nowhere near the harshness of ride I have experienced on some other models. It rides noticeably firmer than my 2010 XC60, and with less body roll, but then the suspension has 100k less miles wear & tear. The air suspension certainly smooths out ruts of rough B roads better, and it buffers traffic humps better too, whatever Drive Mode I have selected. But it is still very early days....

For the last 18 years I had been driving a selection of V70 / XC60 2.4 litre 5 cylinder engined Volvo D5 auto models, and wondered if I would regret this change to the 4 cylinder 2 litre engine. The car I traded in also had the Polestar Optimisation which I found made the car more 'alert' and responsive. So far, I have not been disappointed, and the engine torque / power isn't that far adrift of my last car, though I will learn more when I tow our 1750kg MTPLM caravan in the coming weeks.

Normally I would have recommended arranging a test drive to decide for yourself. Sadly this luxury isn't possible in the current times.

But it sounds like your shortlist is based on late XC60 Mk I cars, which look to be excellent £££ used value just now.
DavidI is offline   Reply With Quote