View Single Post
Old Apr 11th, 2021, 18:24   #50
VolvoRob38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Alternative to the axle stands :

https://www.aimtools.co.uk/products/...0f4ba41f&_ss=r

They work well and don't skid like metal ones. Don't forget a new sump plug washer when changing the oil.

As for your leads, 0.05 Ohms seems low to me but if that's what they showed then your plugs are 0.15 and 0.45 Ohms, might pay to check they are all the same plugs and the correct ones for your car. A small mirror and a torch would help to read the part numbers and make sure they are the same, usually the last 3 digits only changes so be careful of just reading the first few digits and assuming they're the same. Some don't follow this pattern, particularly more recnt Bosch parts that often start "0986" regardless of product group.
Thanks guys, I will invest in some axle stands this week. I did have some old metal ones but must have left them in the garage before moving house.

Going back to the original issue re glow plugs; my tester seemed to slow down and almost stop on 1.2, but slowly it kept ticking down until it stopped on 0.05. Just looking at the plugs they do all look the same. They are so small (and rusty), where exactly would a product code be, without removing them?
2 plugs were higher ohms than the other 2, dont know if thats anything to take notice of?

I was too impatient to wait for the nuts to arrive, and the weather is so nice today I thought Id get outside and take a look at my ECM. The nuts are completely toast now, ruined, so won't be driving anywhere now until the new ones arrive!
I got the wheel off anyway and opened up the ECM, but I was not expecting to see what I saw (photo attached). Well I kinda was, but Vida showed the issue is with the glow relay faulty signal, so I expected to see the relay (photo attached) in there, where I was going to unplug and clean with some contactor spray. However, looking at that ECM I have seen and read of many people removing these and then the car failing to start, so Ive just put everything back as it was.

Also I wasnt sure if I should disconnect the power (battery) before messing with that, so wanted to come back and check here before going any further.

Im just checking vida now and it is pointing towards the area of the ECM... but looking at my photo, where exactly is it located? Somebody mentioned behind the bumper?

Can I get to it if I remove the whole ECM box e.g. from behind?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210411_163120_480x640.jpg (230.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg s-l300.jpg (5.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20210411_185433_640x480.jpg (298.1 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by VolvoRob38; Apr 11th, 2021 at 18:59.
VolvoRob38 is offline   Reply With Quote