View Single Post
Old May 9th, 2021, 21:50   #6
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreen1966 View Post
I had something similar if not the same. Same message and I only got it on towing and normally when foot was off the accelerator and caravan 'pushing' the car - like going down a hill. Vida dice told me it was some lock up function related to some lock up clutch in the auto gearbox. Some people said a coolant leak into the transmission via the oil cooler could cause that as the coolant eroded the clutch material. I was lucky, my gearbox oil level was low as I had been measuring it with the engine switched off. Apparently, the oil level in early XC90 auto gearboxes should be measured with the engine running-perhaps someone can confirm this before you try it? Anyway, I topped my gearbox up and never got the problem again.
Hope this helps and keep us updated.
That has been the case for many years... not just on the XC90 either. The P3 models of the V70, S80, XC70 from 2006 onwards are the same for example. In fact, I think the transmission fluid level needs to be checked with the engine running on the very latest models available too (up to 2021). Its also worth noting that the engine doesn't just need to be running, the transmission fluid also needs to be between 50 & 60 degrees to get an accurate reading.

Last edited by Kev0607; May 9th, 2021 at 22:01.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote